Interviewee: Adv. Rajendra Beniwal, Founding Partner, Karma Law Associates.
Interviewer: Ms. Jyoti Jha, JEMTEC, School of Law
- Sir, kindly introduce yourself and what is your educational qualification?
- I am an alumnus of Gujarat National Law University, Gandhinagar. I did B.A.LL.B.(Hons.) and graduated in the year 2014. The GNLU had offered enormous opportunities to shape my professional career as well as avenues for personality development. I was placed with a Litigation Law Firm based in Mumbai through Campus Placement.
motivated you to choose law as a career?
- Law as a subject has always attracted me. I was a science biology student and wanted to become a Doctor. However, I have realized in 12th that it’s not my cup of tea and therefore left the dream of becoming a Doctor. Later on, I decided to prepare for UPSC exams and took admission in B.A. Degree (Graduation) in a Government College at my hometown Bikaner. While preparing for UPSC, one of a friend, who is now an IPS, introduced me to CLAT exam and Law as a Career. Before taking a final call, I wanted to see the NLUs and campus life, therefore I went to Jodhpur and visited NLU, Jodhpur. I also visited the High Court of Rajasthan at Jodhpur to get a feeling of the atmosphere of the Court and to listen to first reaction of my heart and mind. I got a positive wave and decided to prepare for CLAT exams.
- How long you have practiced and
tell us about your working place?
- It’s been around 5 years. Immediately after passing out from college, I joined a litigation law firm (India Law) based in Mumbai, where I was part of the Dispute Resolution Team. I got opportunities to brief Counsels and appear before the District Court, Bombay High Court and Tribunals. After around 1 year, I shifted to Delhi office of the Firm, where I got opportunities to shape my professional life as a hardcore litigator. I had a wonderful time at India Law and blessed to have good Senior Partners, who always kept me motivated to improve legal skills and push beyond the limits.
type of cases you generally take?
- I do primarily cases of Civil and Corporate Laws, Insolvency and Bankruptcy Law, Arbitration and Dispute Resolution, Contract Laws, Land, and Property Laws; Prevention of Money Laundering, Banking Laws. I do lots of arbitration and suits involving commercial/contractual disputes. We at Karma Law Associates have teams, who specially deal with Legal Due Diligence and advise clients on various aspects pertaining to project finance, acquisition of land, legal and compliance issued faced by the companies and start-ups in the day to day functioning.
- What do you feel is more
interesting litigation or corporate legal work?
- As a professional, both have their own charm.
- What are the general problems faced
- Huge pendency of cases before the Courts
and Tribunals and therefore the matters get delayed.
- Is there any case that was important for you or challenging or something which made you feel proud of yourself?
- I take each and every case a challenging
one and feel proud to obtain a favorable Order for clients.
- What are some of the personality
traits a lawyer should have?
- Patience, Persistence, Hard Work and
honesty towards the profession.
- Is there any moment you feel
quitting this field?
- What do you feel makes law field
different and noble from other professions?
- There are enormous opportunities to serve the public and remove the difficulties of people/clients, which ultimately gives lots of satisfaction. It’s a challenging profession, each day one come across new challenges.
- At last, I want you to say a few words to motivate budding lawyers so as to excel in this field?
- The Law as a Career has enormous opportunities. If it’s your cup of tea, go for it and don’t stop even if you face hardship at the initial stage. It’s a profession, which requires you to get out of your comfort zone and be prepared for all the hardships which will come in the way to shape your professional career.