How to apply for a voter ID card
Author: Poulomi Sen, IIT Kharagpur
Voter ID card is a document issued by the Election Commission of India to adult domiciles of the country and is primarily used for casting vote in general elections, state elections and municipal elections. Voter ID card gives adults beyond the age of 18, the opportunity to vote and select the government as per their preference. In order to participate in elections, it is sine qua non to have a voter ID card. Voter ID card, also known as, Electoral Photo ID card (EPIC), has an auxiliary benefit as it can be used as a general identity card, owing to the fact that it contains the elector’s address, guardian’s details, elector’s photograph, age proof, etc., thus revealing and exhibiting one’s identity. The concept of having a Voter ID card to cast vote was first introduced in1993 during the tenure of the Chief Election Commissioner T.N Seshan.
Pre-requisites of enrolling as a voter in India
One can register himself or herself for voting if he or she complies with the following mandatory requirements:
- The person must be an Indian citizen
- The person must have attained the age of 18 on 1st of January of the year of revision of electoral roll which is known as the qualifying date
- The person should customarily be a resident of the polling area of the constituency where he wants himself to be enrolled
- The applicant must not be having an unsound mind
- The applicant should not have a prior record of getting convicted of “corrupt practices” or any other offences making him ineligible to vote.
- The person, by any reason, shouldn’t be disqualified for enrolling himself as an elector.
Constituents of a voter ID card
A voter ID card consists of the following:
- Passport size photograph
- Elector’s name
- Guardian’s name
- Date of Birth
- Serial number
- Stamped signature of the issuing authority
Process of Registration
There are two modes by which one can register in order to obtain a voter ID card.
|Keep on checking enrollment status for further updates regarding applicant’s registration by visiting https://electoralsearch.in/|
Helpline No: 1950
 What is a voter ID card, available at, https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/elections/lok-sabha/india/what-is-a-voter-id-card/articleshow/68775265.cms?from=mdr