Basically, a trademark is a “brand” or “logo” that you can use to distinguish your product from those of your competitors. Through trademark registration or you can say logo registration/brand registration, you can protect your brand or logo by restricting other people from using the same. For e.g. the logo of NIKE and their tagline JUST DO IT is a registered brand name. By trademarking your logo or brand, you are providing it protection as it is illegal to use the same logo or tagline.
TYPES OF TRADEMARKS AVAILABLE
- Names, including your own name or surname.
- An invented word or any arbitrary dictionary word or words. It does not need to be descriptive of the character or quality of the goods/service.
- Letters or numerals or any combination.
- Combination of colours or even a single colour in combination with a word or device.
- Shape of goods or their packaging.
- Marks constituting a 3-dimensional sign.
- Sound marks when represented in conventional notation or described in words by being graphically represented
- A soft copy of the logo in JPEG format.
- TM 48 (form of authorization).
- Date of first use of the mark.
- Name and address of the proprietor of the mark.
- Required fee.
WHAT DOES THE REGISTER OF TRADEMARK CONTAIN?
Currently maintained in electronic form, the trademark contains the following:
- The class and goods/services in respect of which it is registered including particulars affecting the scope of registration of rights conferred or disclaimers.
- Address of the proprietors.
- Particulars of trade or other description of the proprietor.
- The convention application date (if applicable).
- Place where a trademark has been registered with the consent of the proprietor of an earlier mark or earlier rights.