The Microsoft India Corporate, External and Legal Affairs (CELA) Department has an immediate opening for a dynamic, motivated and inquisitive senior attorney to lead the frontline support to our engineering teams that are part of the India Development Center (IDC) based in Hyderabad and Bengaluru. These engineers are doing innovative work incorporating artificial intelligence into services, applications and core infrastructure of our products. If you want to lead the legal support of the next generation of these technologies infused with data and artificial intelligence in India by helping develop, launch, and manage the same, this is the role for you. Come join us!
- Enable our Engineering Businesses to Grow with AI. Our engineering teams are focusing on helping our internal data scientists and external customers take advantage of massive changes in machine learning and artificial intelligence, and applying machine learning techniques to data. This role will lead the frontline support for various early stage groups building the next amazing technologies our engineers dream up and our data scientists bring to life. The role will help ensure that our new AI engineering services, applications and core infrastructure are built in a legally compliant way, and that our first-party AI and machine learning efforts are done in ways that respect user privacy and customer commitments.
- Enable Engineering Businesses to Innovate for India and Emerging Markets. Some of the engineering clients are tasked with conceptualizing and developing mobile-only productivity for emerging markets. Another team builds Indian language speech recognition, text to speech capabilities, and neural machine translation models for Indian languages, and has developed “Ruuh,” a desi chatbot on Facebook. These are only a couple of examples of the innovation being driven out of the IDC that this lawyer will support.
- Provide top notch legal advice. The role will expose you to a wide range of issues and allow you to drive, lead, work and collaborate with various teams, such as engineering and product development, privacy, security, compliance, marketing, ethics, public relations, finance, business development, product management and other legal colleagues. This role will require you to engage and collaborate with CELA product support teams/lawyers at Redmond and various other jurisdictions which have engineering teams, enabling you to learn, equip and get the necessary support.
- Support need-based, key Disputes and Litigation for these Engineering Groups. Microsoft has six legal entities based in India and has the largest number of engineers and developers for Microsoft outside of the United States. This role will have an additional accountability for managing contentious legal matters for the engineering groups, supported by a set of outside counsels/law firms.
- Be a great teammate. We’re looking for a great collaborator who embraces a growth mindset and supports a positive and diverse team culture that values diversity, inclusiveness, listening, creativity, humility, humor, candor, trust, and having fun while working hard. You should learn from both successes and failures and find ways to help your business clients and the CELA India team succeed overall.
- Intense curiosity. The technologies we deal with—artificial intelligence, search, machine learning, and a range of cloud-based applications and services—change rapidly. Our business and engineering teams are at the cutting edge of critical issues like privacy, intellectual property, ethics, product liability, compliance and regulatory matters. No single person knows (or can know!) all of these topics, so constant curiosity and keenness to learn is a must. You’ll be asked to learn about the legal and business issues impacting these teams and support our related policy, public relations, regulatory affairs, and government affairs teams, as well as our international legal colleagues who are on the front line of these issues worldwide.
- Passion for technology. If you love diving deep into new businesses, identifying novel ways technology can positively impact society, or breaking down the elements of machine learning, this role is for you. You don’t need an undergraduate engineering degree to do well—we learn everyday about the latest relevant technology while advising the business and engineering teams.
- Legal creativity & innovation. This is an area of practice where long-standing precedents often do not exist, in other words, there is no playbook to address the business requirements, and lawyers are constantly challenged to apply legal principles to new scenarios. You’ll have the opportunity to work with colleagues across the company and our outside counsel to develop best practices and solutions to thorny issues in areas like privacy or new business models. Learning the industry and appreciating the broader ecosystem is an important part of this role.
The ideal candidate will have the following attributes:
- Work experience. Successful candidates will have at least fifteen years’ experience with at least one or a selection of the following: product counseling, intellectual property (e.g., copyright), litigation, privacy issues (e.g., data usage, GDPR), tech transactions (e.g., IP licenses), and/or complex commercial agreements (e.g., partnerships or distribution agreements). Having experience in some of the following areas will be valuable: legal risk mitigation, regulatory compliance, policy support, and/or related issues. We welcome the diversity of thought and perspectives your prior legal and non-legal experiences will bring to this role. Prior work in-house or as outside counsel to enterprise online services is a bonus, but is not required. Prior work in a startup business environment, working with complex technologies especially artificial intelligence, or supporting the development and launch of cloud technologies is a major plus. Significant experience managing contentious and litigious matters is also a plus.
- Management experience. The candidate will have managed employees at a law firm or a company.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills. Proven communication excellence in the English language with ability to provide clear, correct and concise written and oral advice in a business context is a must for this position. You’ll be asked to establish trusted-advisor relationships with business leaders in key positions of responsibility, and to work effectively and collegially with legal department teammates and all business support functions.
- Decision making in a fast-paced, dynamic and sometimes ambiguous environment. This position requires skills and capabilities to engage effectively with many internal stakeholders across a diversity of disciplines and areas of expertise. The successful candidate must have a strong desire to navigate through ambiguity, assess and mitigate risk, adapt to rapidly changing circumstances, and, most importantly, the ability and willingness to make tough and sound decisions promptly.
- Company values. You must be committed to Microsoft’s core values, including a commitment to high ethical standards, unquestioned integrity and advancing our company’s accessibility, and diversity and inclusion goals.
- Successfully completed legal studies at an accredited law school in India or abroad.
- This role will require both domestic and international travel.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Benefits and Perks
- Industry leading healthcare
- Savings and investments
- Giving programs
- Educational resources
- Maternity and paternity leave
- Opportunities to network and connect
- Discounts on products and services
- Generous time away