The Max Weber Programme (MWP) at the European University Institute (EUI) is the largest and most innovative postdoctoral programme in the historical and social sciences in Europe.
The Programme is among the most selective – attracting circa 1200 applicants each year – in the fields of political and social sciences, economics, law and history for some 55-60 Fellowships.
- Candidates must have received their Ph.D within the past 5 years or have official approval to defend their thesis by the time of the start of the programme (1 September). Therefore, to apply for 2019-20 they should have received or submitted their Ph.D. between 1/9/2014 and 1/9/2019 and the Ph.D defence should take place no later than 31/12/2019.
- Extensions to the five-year rule are allowed for applicants whose academic career has been interrupted for maternity or paternity leave, illness or mandatory military service. Cite circumstances in the application form in the field ‘Additional Notes’. Successful candidates will be asked to provide supporting documents.
- EUI graduates can only apply for a Max Weber Fellowships after having been away from the EUI and in a full-time occupation or another fellowship for at least a year after defending their Ph.D
- Candidates of any nationality are eligible for the Max Weber Fellowships.
- The expected level of English proficiency is level C1 of the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR).
For more details, click here.
How to apply?
Applications have to be submitted through the Online Application Form.
There are two distinct phases in the application process:
1. Register your application as early as possible: You are encouraged to register your application, by inserting your personal details and referee details as soon as possible. This is important to allow sufficient time for your referees to submit the reference letters before the deadline. References will not be accepted after the deadline.
2. Submit your application by the deadline 18 October: Once you have registered your application you may continue to work on the application details and attachments until the deadline of 18 October. Submit the application only when you have filled in all the information correctly and have successfully uploaded the final version of the attachments.
Academic Service, European University Institute
via dei Roccettini 9
I-50014 San Domenico di Fiesole
Tel. +39 055 4685 377